Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fairy Slums and Other Nonsense


My mom and I took a trip to Garland Nursery today. As we were going after we dropped Henry off at school, he got to listen to us chat about what we were looking for (plant-wise) and what we were planning for our gardens now that things are beginning to pop up and show themselves (or not, unfortunately). I was telling my mom about a hollowed out trunk that I needed to plant something in when Henry added, "But mom, that's part of my fairy garden that you let me have!" Well, it's true. I did let him have a patch of garden that he could plant sweet plants and leave special little things for fairies and putter around with when I was gardening and he was keeping me company. Recently, I took stock of said fairy garden and have determined that it has become a fairy slum and have since reposessed it. That's right, I have kicked out the slum lord that is my son and I have greatly improved their projects. Gone is the swing that hangs at an angle, gone is the stone garden dwarf that served as their protector (his face busted off in the frost) and gone are the weeds and their fairy pool which the mosquitoes had taken over. I left the picket fence and some matchbox cars so they can load up their posessions and head out to their next fairy dwelling. I have standards. I'm all for the fairies but I don't think I want the one's that could live in that kind place....My son says, "I'll just find another place." Spoken like a true slum lord....

Here's the former fairy project that I've started to plant out:



On the knitting front, I am almost done with the front of my sweater (take that michelle) and still progressing on socks. Gardening does cut into the knitting time....I hate to say it (or admit it) but I need to find some sunglasses that are reading glasses so that I can sit out in the sunshine and knit and be able to see what I'm doing! I refuse to do the clip-on thing--is it too much to ask for a little bit of style?

I started reading Darcy & Elizabeth by Linda Berdoll. I loved Darcy Takes A Wife and have been looking forward to the sequel. For those of you who are unfamiliar with these books they are unauthorized sequels to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. There is controversy about these books as some say that they are not what Jane would have written about these characters and that P & P should be left alone. I can see their point. However, I loved the first book and thought its raciness a bit fun. It was different from the original P & P but I really enjoyed it. So now I've got projects coming out of my ears--it's a good thing its staying lighter later! Maybe I can get it all done!

Here's my wheelbarrow with some of my goodies:

The garden beckons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home