Monday, May 22, 2006

I'm a cheatin' ho


Doug was laughing at me last night because I was working on my toothbrush rug and remarked that I felt like I was cheating on my knitting. Yeah. He almost spit out his coffee on that one. I guess I am truly a sick woman...When you start one of these rugs its so satisfying because you make so much progress so quickly. But as the rug gets bigger it's harder to see the progress. Last night I rugged for about 3 hours and finished one whole row. Only 4 more to go....Willow mentioned that she's interested in finding out more about how to make rugs. This is a good website with clear instructions: toothbrush rug instructions.


Its raining today and probably will be for a few more days but I didn't let that stop me on my quest to walk at least 4 days a week. Angus and I went out and walked in the rain today and it wasn't so bad. Except that my car still smells like wet dog even though I brought a towel to dry him off.

The latest on quackers is that he seems to be pulling out of it a bit. He and Angus were mixing it up a bit today and when Angus came into the cottage he plopped his fat butt on the step and tapped on the door for at least 30 minutes until he finally fell asleep out there. I know it all sounds cute and quaint but now theres a big watery duck poop puddle on the step. I wish he didn't crap--I'd let him in.

I'm listening to 10,000 Maniacs and it so brings me back to the years right after college, being newly married and a new mom. New Jersey, naps, high chairs, strollers. I listened to the 10,000 Maniacs all the time back then; in the house, in the car. It's like the background music to my life as a young mother and NFL wife. I wish I knew then what I know now...but isn't that always the way it is? If I had taken up knitting then I'm sure I wouldn't have had as much anxiety as I did when Doug was playing. It's funny how music can do that to me--totally take me back to where I was when I used to listen to it. Humidity, the red maple outside our house, the chain dragging sound of our radiators, the smell of a baby when she first gets up from her nap with her curls stuck to her face. If nothing else, remembering these things reminds you that, as the 10,000 Maniacs say, "these are the days". Those times seemed like thats how things would always be and look at me now: in Oregon, of all places, with 3 kids that can put themselves to sleep, don't need their food cut and can even wash their own clothes! So what is right now won't always be. I'm reminded to live in the present and love it for what it is, good and bad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Willow said...

Thanks for the site for the toothbrush rug. After school is out, I'm going to try to figure this out! Sounds like something I'd like t learn to do.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Poshyarns said...

Lovely post, I have the same thing with certain music, your post had me flicking through the Ipod for some old favourites. My daughter still naps sometimes and I love when I go to wake her and she has that lovely sleepy smell about her, all warm and cuddly.

Hmmm, wet dog smell, nothing quite like it. It has been raining for a week here and my dogs and the utility room where they sleep, absolutely reek.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous blair said...

What a funny thought that you felt as if you were cheating on your knitting, but wow, how true is that feeling! I can so relate (as well as to the 10, 000 maniacs)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Obsidian Kitten said...

oh wow, 10,000 Maniacs, so true! they're part of thr soundtrack to my life too. i lived in Hoboken NJ from 1990-2004 and could name about 100 other bands from that "other life"...amazing how music can just rollercoaster me back to another era.

and it's been raining here in Michigan since May 10th... I think yesterday (the 23rd) was the first day with no rain. So maybe clearer skies are on their way west?

soggy hugs! O'kitten

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home