Wednesday, May 24, 2006

roses, ad nauseam

This is a shot of a corner of my big garden with my cottage in the background. I'm loving the lupines and the foxgloves.

Well I'm no closer to finishing those socks but I did ply my yarn and dyed it and I can see that soon we are going to need to go the way of the chemical dyes and leave the koolaid behind. Yep, we all knew it would go this way and here it is. I'm such a color freak that I can't stand not having all the colors of the spectrum at my disposal. So there it is.

Even though the rain sucks and the gray clouds are thoroughly depressing there is one good thing about it: the photography gods are particularly kind to photographers when it is overcast outside. That said, I went nuts with the roses. The wind, however, was not kind and that's not good for macro photography so I had to cut some flowers from my garden and drag a heavy vase of flowers around my yard. And shoot at least 1 gig in about 30 minutes flat...

So we got these:


I love the way that the roses look like ballet tutus. These are all my favorite colors: pink,rose,green and a shot of turquoise and it amazes me that I got them all together in a natural setting (except the vintage turquoise bean pot is not out of the garden and natural, but we'll forget that).


Don't the delphiniums look so sweet with their green polka dots? If that stalk hadn't broken and turned downward I never would have known they were there...Well I'm sure you all have had enough of the roses for today.

Heading to the bath now (with my yarn dyeing book...) Maybe some knitting in bed!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Allison said...

I'm so jealous of your foxgloves! I lost mine a couple years ago when our painter's crew trampled all over them. Yours are devine.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

Chemical dyes do produce the best color. Check out Landscapes dyes from Australia. I bought them from Woodland Woolworks in Carlton, OR. Allow me to be pedantic: natural dyes also use chemicals to prepare the wool (alum, zinc, etc) and the color fades. There's no difference in using chemical dyes, except the manufacture puts the chemicals in for you.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

manufacturer*

9:24 AM  
Blogger Willow said...

Just remembered, Molehill Farm in Lake Oswego used to have a dye set of 6 colors that could be dyed and overdyed for any color/shade you want. I don't know if they still have it and the website doesn't say.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Poshyarns said...

I love foxgloves too and seem to have them in all sorts of strange parts in this garden. They are getting taller by the day an should be out in another 2 or 3 weeks I hope.

The roses are so lovely, I love the shot of with the delphiniums, fantastic colour mix.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Poshyarns said...

Thanks for your lovely comments about my Birch. The pattern is from Rowan 34 but in fact I have a spare copy of that pattern, it was in a little booklet that came free with a magazine and I would be happy to send it to you. If you would like it you can email me your details, poshyarns@googlemail.com

12:50 PM  
Blogger Midsummer night's knitter said...

can't have too many roses
India

1:54 AM  
Blogger blackbird said...

gosh these photos are just beautiful!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home